Since the heat and fire are essential in everyday life to heat the house, cooking and even smoking, special attention should be given daily to the risks inherent in the use of fire.
Among the most dangerous and important elements to be taken into account include: equipment and faulty electrical wiring, smoking habits and the misuse of matches, the smooth operation of heating equipment, proper maintenance of the stoves oil, spontaneous ignition of garbage, he inappropriate use of flammable liquids, hot ashes and placing fuel in places near the heaters.
Fires in electrical installations may be the result of an overloaded circuit, faulty wiring, poorly isolated material, defective switches and the misuse of electrical appliances. Besides causing burns and start fires, electricity mishandled can cause concussions and even death, resulting from strong shocks of the electrical installation.
In older homes should check the installation since modern appliances demand more current load. Overloading a circuit and therefore cause it to overheat, it may be the result of using it for too many lamps, motors or other items.
The heating produced by this overload may cause fire. Even when the current is not excessive, it can be a dangerous warming or may sparks because the electrical installations have loose connections or improperly performed. The fuse is considered safer the circuit breaker. Use a coin instead of a fuse or fuse is a common and very dangerous habit.
To dramatize the danger can represent a careless attitude towards electricity at home, then cite an example: A three year old girl was left alone for a few minutes at the dinner table and introduced a fork in the toaster (which their parents often did) to take a slice ; placed , while the other hand – which was wet on the outside of the toaster (of metal and thus excellent electrical conductor); shortly after the small was found completely unconscious because of burns and electric shock and , despite having been attended to immediately, he could not save his life. Such misfortunes can be avoided if parents take into account the following safety experts that make electricity:
Cables from electrical appliances must not go over radiators or pipes. Do not touch electrical equipment if there is one in the tub, standing on a wet floor (like laundry) or with wet hands. Electrical cords should not go through the door shutters or under carpets, as the constant opening and closing of the first and the second walk on, will damage the insulator material.
Electrical equipment should be placed in appropriate contacts. There are fake plugs that can be placed in receptacles that must not be used to prevent children’s curiosity and crawling babies. The plugs do not disconnect by pulling the cord from the socket. An electric iron should never be connected, even for a single moment, without being duly observed. Lamps, electrical appliances, extension cords and nuclei leads must bear a label stating they were inspected by competent authorities.
The cables with the insulation worn or cracked should be renewed. Some causes of wear that are rubbing against sharp edges of furniture or twist and tug the cables. Repairs or placement of electrical wires in the home require skilled care about it; It is not a job that any amateur can do. They cleaned all debris that may have accumulated in basements, closets, garages, attics or storage elsewhere.
In addition to being alert to the dangers of electricity, the whole family must form the habit of controlling other risks as representing fire. This should include the following: Make sure cigarette butts have been well off; ashtrays emptied regularly and do not smoke in bed or when you’re too tired. Cigarettes and matches still occupy the first place to cause fires. Always leave the matches out of the reach of children.
Remove all fuel soaked rags that are at the corners of a closet or garage. Do not leave garbage or trash in places near a boiler. Store flammable liquids (gasoline, oil, paint, etc…) preferably on the outside of the house, away from open flame or something hot because its gases are often flammable.
Should never use these fluids to ignite inside the house. All items easily combustible (paper, cloth, leaves and firewood should be stored away from heat and ignition sources (such as heaters, fireplaces, furnaces, stoves and electrical equipment). Electric appliances, such as irons, which retain heat even when they are disconnected, they must be handled and stored with special care.
Torches, welders and similar items must be stored in non-combustible shelves. ‘s essential to have a good extinguisher near such tools if it produces a uncontrollable ignition. Any fire that is lit with a purpose to keep away from buildings or into suitable containers. Children should learn early that must be prudently away from space heaters and fire.
Adults should set an example in this and protect themselves, avoiding direct contact with the heating and fire whenever possible. It is recommended that homes have adequate equipment to fight the fire, as fire extinguishers, several hoses in strategic places, if it possible, also first -aid material.